Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Snowball Effect

The snow falls softly to the ground, bringing a refreshing briskness to the air, almost an energizing feeling. Perhaps that is why it is so much for me to play in the snow. It cseems intriguing how from one little handful of snowflakes, an entire snowman can be born. By rolling a small snowball in the freshly fallen snow, I can create a solide and long-lasting creature. But this is not a one-time "roll". I must continue rolling until I get the ice sculpture that attracts attention and creates a lot of enjoyment.

Trust is a lot like a snowball, I believe. It starts in a refreshing relationship, builds over time and experience into something quite solid and attractive. But, like a snow sculpture, it needs continual replenishing and consistent atmosphere...the atmosphere of love.

I have gotten over zealous in the rolling of a snowball! I have also had my snowball succumb to a small avalanche resulting in it rolling out of control only to splat at the bottom of the hill, shattering into many pieces. How can I put that back together again? Can those same snowflakes, now dirty and melting, be restored to the great snowball it had been before?

When trust is broken and the avalanches of life have caused a shattering of my confidence, how can I put my faith back together? Can I reassemble every experience that led me to have this trust?

When I looked that the ruins of the "snowball of turst", all splatterred on the ground, I cried out to the giver of the snow, to the One whom I trusted as a child.
"No," I said. "I can't put it back together, Lord. All I have known and trusted in lies in a dirty mess. I cannot possibly find even one snowflake to begin to make
the snowball over again."
Once my trust was shattered by shakings not invited, I could see no hope of restoration.

Then I heard His voice! "Move up a little higher, my child. Move up into my arms. Move up where there is fresh snow and anoiting. Spend time on My mountain and together we can find those snowflakes and begin again."

I realized that it does not matter what man or woman or tragedy has done to me. It matters only what i do with them. I must leave the mess, the judgments, the hurt, in the valley, and move to the mountain of God for new beginnings. And if those who have caused the avalanche choose to move up higher to His mountain too, we can re-establish that trust- first in God and then in one another. But it is not my doing that will make their decision, but the sweet drawing of His spirit.

I will move up higher, Lord, for what You say is truly all that matters. Let me be the one whom YOu use to set the snowball effect of rising above circumstances and entering into the fresh snowfall of His Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment