Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Deserts of Life

When I drive to work every morning, I have some choices. I can take the busy, city-like street aways and drop down to my destination through a myriad of housing developments. OR I can take the southern, country roads, passing farmland currently being harvested. This is the route I prefer. Today, the farmer was harvesting hay. At least I presume it is hay. It is green and once cut, they make it into bales. They also have already harvested grain and flowers and some other produce.

I watched this morning as the birds lit in the grain field. There is quite a bit of stubble from which the birds are gleaning. They are very pretty, and I am glad they can have the remains after the harvest. I thought about how many birds, insects, and other small animals might be gleaning in that field. It made me think about the harvest times in my life...the cutting back, the mowing down, and so forth that the Lord takes us through regularly.

And then I turned the corner! No more fields! No more birds! Now I was staring out at what appeared to be barren desert. It seemed dry and lifeless; hot and desolate. Yet, my knowledge of this desert tells me that there is much life teeming in the dust. There are lizards, snakes, insects, some birds, and even coyotes roaming through the brush. This made me think of the desrt times of my life. The seasons where life feels hot and dirty; nearly unbearable, and lifeless. Yet, I must remind myself that even in those times, there is life in my desert! Yes, there is hope. There are many spiritual lessons to learn. There are many people I have yet to meet, to whom I must relate. There are unproductive times, it seems, because I do not have a higher perspective. I remain looking at the human level on the misery of the heat and dryness. I find myself thirsting. I find myself covered with the dust of mundane life.

Oh, yes! I must remember where the living water is! There are many streams in this physical desert if one knows where to look. There are underground wells that seep water through the dust. There are even cool air blow holes, if one knows where to look.

And I do. I just seem to forget. I get overwhelmed with the thirst and the journey and forget to go to the Source.

The Lord is the Source of all provision. He is the only One who can quench the thirst within my soul. And the more I spend time with Him, whether He is leading me beside still waters or through the desert, the more I enjoy all that life brings my way!

1 comment:

  1. Good encouragement. The desert is now getting hot. What a beautiful spring we had.

    ReplyDelete