Friday, September 18, 2009

In Tune With Him

In Tune With Him

“I am absolutely right!” Those were my feelings as well, but they came from the mouth of another. And we did not agree.

She was a person whom God had given to help in the children’s ministry that I was directly responsible for.

I wanted to argue the point and to remind her who was “in charge”, but I had long ago realized that falling into that trap does not further the Kingdom. So, I went to the King instead.

I often spent time in the sanctuary of the church where I was on staff, and walked around while I prayed. And God had a tremendous lesson in store for me that day.

I felt very impressed to go to a specific corner and stand facing the pews. I looked around at the pews and the grand piano and other instruments.

Following what I felt was a leading of the Holy Spirit, I went from one corner to the next, gazing out at the sanctuary fixtures and furnishings.

In one particular corner, I realized that I did not have the view of the piano. (The room was neither rectangular nor square). One could stand here and effectively argue that there was NO piano in the room if they refused to move out of their corner.

That’s when it hit me! She was NOT in the same corner as I was! Her view point differed greatly because she was standing in a different place than I was. She did not see the “piano” which seemed so obvious to me!

I realized too, that only God could move her beyond her corner to a wider view. It was HIS job, not mine. That settled it. I should continue to do what was right…play my piano, so to speak, and let God move her. If she complained about the music, it was His business to lead her to the piano. I could argue all day and night and never make her see the piano. She would be moved only by God.

I received peace that day. I was right! So was she! God had us in different corners, which created different perspectives! So, I prayed that some day she would see the piano and enjoy the music! And I think she did…in His time!

1 comment:

  1. Great illustration! I wish I would have learned that lesson years ago. Some of us are slower learners than others, I guess. God is the only one who can change another person. You are very wise.

    ReplyDelete