Thursday, December 3, 2009

Women's Wiles or Leadership responsibility?

I see that time has gotten away once again. I could make a lot of excuses as to why I have neglected this blog. But they would all boil down to just that...neglect. Not paying attention to things that are important. Choosing my own priorities over those of others. All with good intentions, mind you!

This delemna reminds me of a passage that I recently read with my grandson. We are going through the study of the children of Israel and the life of Moses. Two very important people in Moses's life were his siblings, Aaron and Miriam. We read the story of how they both decided to grumble against Moses because he had married a woman that did not meet with their approval. Her ancestry and upbringing did not fit with their idea of the wife of a leader of Israel. Miriam was struck with leporsy for her transgression. Yet, nothing is mentioned of Aaron having the same situation. This had puzzled me in the past, having read that passage as more of an isolated story. But in the context of the whole journey, and the life of Moses, it makes mch more sense to me.

You see, Aaron and Miriam had differing personalities. Miriam was bold, out-spoken and a natural leader. She was quick to express herself with dancing and singing when her heart felt gratitude for God. She was quick to offer a solution when Moses, as an infant, was pulled from the water to be raised in the palace.

Aaron, on the other hand, became Moses's spokesman only after Moses demanded it of God. He was much more of a follower than a leader, in my opinion. He was not a leader independently of Moses. When Moses was gone up to the Mount to meet with God, Aaron gave in to the wishes of the people and created the golden calf for them to worship. It seems he couldn't keep his focus on the Lord without Moses being there, even though he had himself seen God's victory over the Pharoah!

Could it be that the verse which cautions those who consider themselves teachers (leaders) could fit this scenario too? The Word warns that if we are teachers, then more is expected of us. Aaron seemed unable to stand up for the right thing unless Moses was present. He apparently accepted his leadership postion reluctantly. Miriam, on the other hand, did consider herself a leader and spoke up often. Perhpas this leadership quality is why she was judged more harshly than Aaron in their joint sin against Moses.

Aaron was a people-please champion! But this also meant his heart was soft towards others! He begged God to heal Miriam and take away the awfulness she was facing. God knew his heart was full of love for his sister, but he had succumbed, once again, to the desires of others.

Miriam received mercy from God. She was banned from the community as any leper was, but only for seven days. Her healing was complete. It does not appear that she suffered any lingering effects of the illness.

I thought about this story and realized that leadership is an awesome responsibility. Sometimes it gets thrust upon us like Aaron. Soemtimes it is a part of our nature like Miriam. Either way, we should consider that our priorities can no longer be the number one consideration of our lives. We must have God's priorities. We must say what He wants us too and not value our own opinions over His instructions.

So what do I need to consider in this story? To pray for the leadership that God has put over me. To not judge the actions or decisions of others, especially those in position over me spiritually. To speak when and what He says and not my own opinions. To not crave the attention of others, even those whom I might naturally lead. To keep my opinions from coming out of my mouth, except when speaking directly to God alone. And to not find God's decisions "unfair". He deals with each of us as He knows is best for our growth.

Miriam was a good leader in worship. But she apparently felt the need to seek attention by gossip. Oh Lord...keep your arm around my shoulder...and Your hand over my mouth! I submit my words to You to use! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment